Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a neighborhood favorite - a must at Bunco, block parties, etc.
- 1 head broccoli, tips only,cut into small pieces
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml raisins
- 236.59 ml mayonnaise
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml sunflower seeds
- 10 slice bacon, fried and crumbled
- Mix broccoli, onion and raisins together.
- In a separate bowl, mix mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar and salt together.
- Toss with broccoli mixture.
- Chill 1-2 hours.
- Mix in sunflower seeds and bacon right before serving.
This is a tried and true recipe that was passed on to me from my grandmother's friend and I have yet to meet someone who doesn't like it (even the broccoli haters). We've jokingly referred to this recipe as "Munchkin Broccoli" on account of the fact it gets all four of my kids to eat broccoli. The greatest part about this salad is that it gets better and better every day (if there's any left after the first day!)
This is delish. Even my kids eat every bite. I use pecans instead of sunflower seeds, but that is just a personal preference.
We really enjoyed this recipe but found that our wonderful 'extras' far outlasted our small head of broccoli. Next time to get the right proportions, I'd use either one large head or a couple smaller heads of broccoli.