Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a cool recipe for a hot summer day!
- 2 (16 ounce) bags broccoli florets
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled, reserve drippings
- 1 1⁄2 large red onions, diced in med size pieces
- 1 cup unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 -2 tablespoon granulated sugar (amount depending on taste)
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups Miracle Whip (just enough to give it the creamy consistency)
- Cut the broccoli crowns into bite size pieces. Add the onions. Toss well. Chill. Add the hot bacon drippings and crumbled bacon. Toss well again. Add the sugar and vinegar. Toss. Add the sunflower seeds, craisins, and raisins. Mix until all ingredients are well distributed. Begin adding the miracle whip. Continue mixing the salad and adding miracle whip until you acquire the right consistency. Let salad chill in the refrigerator for a couple hour to let all the flavors marry. It is even better the next day. Enjoy!
This is a wonderful Broccoli Salad. I didn't even let it chill yet and it was good! Can't wait to see how much even tastier it will be tomorrow after a long chill. The only thing I did differently was I didn't put any of the bacon grease in it. It really didn't need it and I thought it might be better for everyone. Thanks Boyblu19! Made for PAC Fall 2011.
This raisin & cranberry lover thoroughly enjoyed this salad & will happily make it again & again! Pretty much followed the recipe, although I did cut way back on the amount of mayo used, using probably about 3/4 of a cup, & that was plenty for the 2 of us! Loved your wonderfully flavorful salad! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]
I love broccoli salad and this is a good one! I don't care for onion so left it out. I enjoyed the addition of the cranberries; they added a little tartness compared to the sweet raisins. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for Fall Pick-A-Chef 2011