Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 8 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a delicious easy to make recipe that my grandmother and mom have been making for years. It's really good with just about any main course and is a nice variation from a lot of typical salads. I've included the original recipe per my grandmother although I omit the purple onion as I don't care for it too much. In addition, we often substitute a 2 tablespoon equivalent of Splenda for the sugar as my wife is diabetic. Duke's or Hellman's mayonnaise works best for this recipe. Hope you enjoy!
- 5 cups fresh uncooked broccoli, chopped into 1 inch pieces (equivalent of 1 bunch)
- 8 slices bacon, well done & crumbled (easy cook bacon works just fine)
- 1 small purple onion, diced
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine chopped broccoli, bacon, onion, and cheddar cheese.
- In a small bowl, mix vinegar and sugar using a wire whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add mayonnaise and continue to whisk together until uniform in mixture.
- Keep salad and dressing chilled, and pour dressing over salad mixture just prior to serving.