Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Tasty family recipe with a secret ingredient, powdered sugar. This is much requested at potlucks and family gatherings. Very quick and easy to make. Courtesy of my Aunt June.
- 2 heads broccoli
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Cut broccoli florets from stem.
- Discard stem.
- Cut florets into smaller pieces and add to large bowl.
- Add chopped red onion.
- Combine mayonnaise, powdered sugar and wine vinegar in a separate bowl.
- Mix well.
- Add dressing to the broccoli and combine.
- Add sunflower seeds, bacon and raisins.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour prior to serving.
- If the salad seems too "dry" for the amount of broccoli, make a half batch of the dressing ingredients and mix into the salad for an extra creamy batch.
- You may substitute craisins in place of the raisins.
This is a welcomed recipe in our house,everyone loves it .Instead of the sunflower seeds I used cashews.and more bacon.Thanks for sharing
I really liked this version of broccoli salad. I did leave out the raisins because I don't really like raisins and I halved the recipe. It was very easy to put together and I like the addition of confectioner's sugar instead of granulated sugar ~ the dressing wasn't grainy at all. I know I'll be using this recipe for barbecues this summer! Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2009.
Very tasty side dish salad--I love the crunch, the onion and the sweetness--all in one bite! Subbed in peanuts for the sunflower seeds, 'cuz that's what I have in my pantry! I halved the recipe and used four slices of thick-sliced bacon--which was just about perfect (perfect would be about a POUND of bacon, but I really am trying to be less of a bacon pig!). :rofl: I actually like to make a bit LESS of the dressing, so then it doesn't get soupy if you have leftovers. *Made for PAC Spring 08*