Recipe by ngibsonn
This recipe for the best ever bacon, raisin and broccoli salad is slightly altered from one posted by Martha Carey in a site from Panama, "La Cocina Paraiso" (The Paradise Kitchen). It's a healthy dish, full of vitamins and antioxidants. I won't try to persuade you that it's better than ice cream, but given the choice, I might choose this scrumptious salad.
Top Review by H. Cato
This recipe is pretty much the same as we make. I have uploaded a picture of the dish for this page. The only difference in the recipe that I make is that I don't cook the broccoli at all, and I don't add celery seeds. The recipe I have calls for 10 slices of bacon. I have also used regular white vinegar, and regular mayonaise (not the lowfat). I would say that oour recipes taste pretty much the same, and look pretty much the same, so I'm sure the picture will do it justice. Great recipe!
- 2 bunches broccoli
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 6 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 small red onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise or 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off the broccoli heads, and separate into small florets.
- Steam in a microwave for four minutes.
- Bite a piece.
- It should be crispy-tender and bright green.
- Nuke for 1 minute at a time for 1 or 2 minutes more if required.
- Dump immediately into icy cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Remove into a colander and set aside to drain.
- Put cooking oil in a skillet.
- Chop bacon into tiny cubes and sauté on medium heat until crispy.
- Drain and spread onto a paper towel to blot more grease (You may fry bacon whole if you wish, drain, cool and then crumble fine).
- Make up the dressing.
- Add the chopped onion, crumbled bacon and raisins to the dressing and mix well.
- If you have a salad strainer, spin broccoli to remove more water.
- Place broccoli in a bowl, pour dressing over it and mix lightly.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or more to chill and develop the flavors.
- This salad will keep well in the refrigerator for three days.