Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
For a healthier dish, the sugar can be cut down quite a bit.
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened & dice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- To make dressing, in a small bowl whisk together the whole egg, egg yolk, sugar, mustard and cornstarch.
- In a saucepan combine the vinegar, 1/4 cup water, and the salt and bring the mixture to a boil over moderate heat.
- Whisk in the egg mixture and cook the mixture, whisking, for 1 minute, or until it is thickened.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the butter. Whisk in the mayonnaise and chill the dressing, covered.
- To make salad, in a large bowl combine gently the broccoli, raisins, mushrooms, and onion. Pour the dressing over mixture. Toss salad well and add salt and pepper to taste.