Recipe by YummySmellsca
A rich vegetarian side dish of garlicky baked ricotta and broccoli drizzled with a warm red pepper sauce. With a loaf of crusty bread nearby, it's a perfect meal on it's own! Make the sauce ahead of time and warm it just before serving to save time.
- 2 red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 2 1⁄4 cups diced broccoli
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place peppers, onion and garlic cloves into a 9" x 13" baking pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil, add mustard seed, salt and pepper and toss well.
- Put in oven and roast for about 45 minutes, or until very soft and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, stir together boiling water and saffron, if using. Allow to steep while vegetables are roasting.
- When they have finished roasting, add the vegetables to a blender, add the saffron water and puree smooth. Pour into a jug or gravy boat and set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Place broccoli florets in a steamer and steam until just tender.
- Take half the broccoli, break it up with a fork or potato masher, and add to a bowl with the ricotta, egg, lemon zest, basil, pepper, paprika, nutmeg and salt.
- Fold in the larger broccoli pieces.
- Grease an 8” or 9” round casserole dish, and fill with broccoli mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve alongside warm pepper sauce.