Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a no-guilt version of this French import that won't break the budget. The rice crust is unusual but very yummy. Even my kids love this and I have to make two at a time for my family to get enough.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine rice, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, and 1 egg.
- Evenly spread mixture in prepared pie plate.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining 3 eggs, broccoli, mushrooms, onion and lemon pepper.
- Spread mixture in crust. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheddar evenly over top and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Place pie plate on wire rack and let set for 10 minutes.
- Cut into 6 wedges.
Well.....I didn't mind it but my family hated it. Even my husband who eats EVERYTHING said he would not eat the left overs. It was accused of bate and switch because it looked good but tasted like rice and eggs which according to my family don't go together.
I'm always on the look-out for dishes to make for my meatless meals that I have once or twice a week and I will definitely make this again, tho with adjustments. The onions were still raw so next time I'll sautÃ¨ them first. And it screams for salt and pepper. I enjoy quiche but don't like the calories that most crusts add. The rice crust in this recipe is great!
Amazing! Highly suggest you make two. Also used brown rice and a can of mushrooms. Did not have the lemon pepper spice and was worried it might taste bland but the mushroom and onion flavor were more than enough. Will be making often.