Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
With green broccoli, golden cheese and sweet red peppers, this bountiful bake has plenty of eye appeal...and it makes a tasty and satisfying meatless entree or side dish. From the April/May 2003 Taste of Home's Light & Tasty magazine.
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 4 ounces chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet pepper
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine the rice, cheese, 1/2 cup egg substitute and garlic salt. Press firmly into a 2-quart baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place the broccoli, mushrooms, red pepper and onion in a steamer basket over 1 inch boiling water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a bowl, combine the egg substitute, milk, onion salt and pepper; stir in vegetables. Pour over rice crust. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.