Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
With green broccoli, golden cheese and sweet red peppers, this bountiful bake has plenty of eye appeal...and it makes a tasty and satisfying meatless entree or side dish. From the April/May 2003 Taste of Home's Light & Tasty magazine.
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 4 ounces chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet pepper
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, combine the rice, cheese, 1/2 cup egg substitute and garlic salt. Press firmly into a 2-quart baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place the broccoli, mushrooms, red pepper and onion in a steamer basket over 1 inch boiling water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a bowl, combine the egg substitute, milk, onion salt and pepper; stir in vegetables. Pour over rice crust. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
This was just delicious. I misread the directions and stirred the cheese in, but it still worked out fine.
OK, I sincerely enjoyed this casserole on day 1. But as my hubby said, this is the kind of meal that tastes even better on day 2 so I can't WAIT for the leftovers tomorrow!!! I made it exactly as written. Awesome stuff. Loved the rice "crust". I used 1 bag of Uncle Ben's Ready Whole Grain Medley (wild and brown rice) which was exactly 2 cups. I also used a combo of red, yellow and orange bell peppers for color. I cut mine into 6 nice portions, perfect size for a main entree with a tomato salad on the side. So easy and so tasty. Will make this again. Make for PHOTO TAG. THANKS!!!