Recipe by collettem
Yummy and cheesy, and you can always add some cooked chicken to it, making it a one-dish meal. (originally from budgetbytes.blogspot.com)
Top Review by rosie316
I made this dish on Easter Sunday. I enjoyed the fact that it was quite easy to make. On the down side, it didn't quite have enough flavor for us. I followed the recipe to a T, but there was an issue of when to add the can of creamed soup... the directions did not specify. I added it when I mixed the broc, rice and cheese together just before baking. I will most likely make this again, but I will probably alter it slightly. (Made for PAC 2014)
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1 (11 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1) In a medium pot over medium heat, saute the diced onion and olive oil until the onion is soft and translucent.
- 2) Add the rice and continue to stir for 2-3 minutes, or until the rice also looks a bit translucent.
- 3) Add the chicken broth and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 40 minutes with a lid covering the pot.
- 4) While the rice is cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 5) Thaw the broccoli in the microwave until it is just slightly tender (it will cook further in the casserole).
- 6) When the broccoli is thawed, drain any water, then add it to the rice mixture.
- 7) Mix in 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, then transfer the mixture to a casserole dish. Top the mixture with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese.
- 8) Bake for 30 minutes, then serve.