Recipe by Shari2
I found this recipe in a Dec 1990 Cooking Light magazine. I'm putting it here for safe keeping since it took me years to find the magazine again
Top Review by MagsMeals
This was great and I will make it again. I had leftover rice and a big bunch of broccoli to use up. I was looking for something to serve with my pork roast and this was perfect. I used butter instead of margarine, full fat cheddar, and light mayonnaise. I sprinkled a bit of cheese on top instead of the melba toast. Very good!
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 tablespoon margarine, divided
- 2 teaspoons margarine, divided
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups cooked long-grain rice (cooked without salt or fat)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup crushed unsalted melba toast
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook broccoli in boiling water for 3 minutes until crisp tender.
- Drain broccoli and plunge into cold water.
- Drain again and set aside.
- Melt 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of margarine over medium heat.
- Sauté onion for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add flour and mustard and cook 1 minute stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
- Gradually add the skim milk while stirring constantly.
- Cook an additional 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add pepper.
- Combine the broccoli, milk mixture, rice, cheese and mayonnaise in a bowl; stir well.
- Spoon into a shallow 2 quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Melt remaining teaspoon of margarine and combine with crushed melba toast, sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until heated through.