1/2 Photos of Broccoli-Rice Casserole
I found this recipe in a Dec 1990 Cooking Light magazine. I'm putting it here for safe keeping since it took me years to find the magazine again
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 tablespoon margarine, divided
- 2 teaspoons margarine, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/4 cups skim milk
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups cooked long-grain rice (cooked without salt or fat)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup crushed unsalted melba toast
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Cook broccoli in boiling water for 3 minutes until crisp tender.
- 3Drain broccoli and plunge into cold water.
- 4Drain again and set aside.
- 5Melt 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of margarine over medium heat.
- 6Sauté onion for 3 minutes or until tender.
- 7Add flour and mustard and cook 1 minute stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
- 8Gradually add the skim milk while stirring constantly.
- 9Cook an additional 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- 10Remove from heat and add pepper.
- 11Combine the broccoli, milk mixture, rice, cheese and mayonnaise in a bowl; stir well.
- 12Spoon into a shallow 2 quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- 13Melt remaining teaspoon of margarine and combine with crushed melba toast, sprinkle on top of casserole.
- 14Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until heated through.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli-Rice Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 150.5
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 4.5 mg
- Sodium 231.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 7.8 g