Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Posted for ZWT 2006.
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 tablespoon margarine, divided
- 2 teaspoons margarine, divided
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup cracker crumb
- Cook broccoli in boiling water for 3 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Drain and plunge into cold water, drain again and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon butter/margarine in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add flour and mustard; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook an additional 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in pepper.
- Combine broccoli and milk mixture, rice, cheese and mayo in a bowl, stir well. Spoon into shallow 2 quart casserole coated with cooking spray.
- Melt remaining teaspoon butter and combine with cracker/Melba toast crumbs.
- Sprinkle over mixture.
- Bake 350°F for 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Great casserole. Easy to do and great flavors. Served with chicken.
Very tasty! I also liked that this version had ingredients I could pronounce. Used a shortcut which worked quite nicely: In the covered casserole dish, added the chopped broccoli and microwaved for 3 mintues on high, no water necessary. Perfectly crisp tender and green, and, since I just added the other ingredients to the cooked broccoli before baking, no extra dish to wash :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Takes longer to make than the classic Cheez Whiz/Cr of Mushroom version, but the taste and texture is worth the effort! I used fat free milk and still had great results. Great use for leftover rice....especially from chinese takeout. Thanx for posting!