1/1 Photo of Broccoli Rice and Cheese Casserole
No canned soup or cheese whiz needed for this one, but still easy to make! You could substitute 4 cups frozen broccoli flowerets, just cook them and break them up more.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups hot cooked rice (white or brown)
- 1 bunch broccoli, washed and broken into very small flowerets (should be 4 cups after cooking)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 -2 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups shredded extra sharp white cheddar cheese (or sharp or regualar)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease/spray a casserole dish; set aside.
- 2Place your 3 cups hot cooked rice in a large bowl and set aside.
- 3Steam/microwave the broccoli flowerets until fork-tender; drain (you should have 4 cups cooked flowerets) and place in bowl with hot cooked rice; set a side.
- 4In a small saucepan, over med-low heat, melt butter; add onion and saute for about 3-4 minutes. Add in milk and beaten egg; stir well. Add in the cheese, salt, pepper and paprika. Continue to cook, stirring often, until cheese is melted. Pour this mixture over broccoli and rice in the large bowl. Stir together well to evenly coat.
- 5Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli Rice and Cheese Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.6
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 66.7 mg
- Sodium 329.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 13.8 g