This was adapted from Gourmet's recipe.
Make and share this Broccoli, Red Pepper, and Cheddar Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups broccoli (.5 lb)
- 1 large potato (.5 lb)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 6 ounces 2% cheddar cheese
- Discard tough lower third of broccoli stem.
- Peel remaining stem and finely chop.
- Cut remaining broccoli into very small (1-inch) florets.
- Cook florets in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking, then drain, reserve 3 cups cooking water for chowder.
- Peel potato and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Cook potato, onion, bell pepper, broccoli stems, and garlic in butter in a 3- to 4-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add cumin, salt, pepper, and mustard and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add reserved cooking water and simmer (partially covered), stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream and cheese and cook, stirring, until cheese is melted; season with salt and pepper.
- Purée about 2 cups of chowder in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids) and return to pot.
- Add florets and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes.