1/2 Photos of Broccoli, Red Pepper, and Cheddar Chowder
1 hr 20 mins
This was adapted from Gourmet's recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups broccoli (.5 lb)
- 1 large potato (.5 lb)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 6 ounces 2% cheddar cheese
- 1Discard tough lower third of broccoli stem.
- 2Peel remaining stem and finely chop.
- 3Cut remaining broccoli into very small (1-inch) florets.
- 4Cook florets in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking, then drain, reserve 3 cups cooking water for chowder.
- 6Peel potato and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- 7Cook potato, onion, bell pepper, broccoli stems, and garlic in butter in a 3- to 4-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 8Add cumin, salt, pepper, and mustard and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- 9Add flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- 10Add reserved cooking water and simmer (partially covered), stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- 11Stir in cream and cheese and cook, stirring, until cheese is melted; season with salt and pepper.
- 12Purée about 2 cups of chowder in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids) and return to pot.
- 13Add florets and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli, Red Pepper, and Cheddar Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.5
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 20.2 mg
- Sodium 889.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 16.4 g