Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very spicy Rabe made like Grandma did but with Vegetarian Sausage.
- 2 heads broccoli rabe
- 1 head garlic
- 3 dried hot peppers
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 -4 vegetarian Italian sausages
- 1 lb pasta (penne works well)
- Cut Broccoli Rabe all the way down to end of stems. Cut in about 1/2 inch sections on top and get smaller as you go down. When stems get very tough towards bottom stop cutting and discard.
- Wash thoroughly and drain.
- Place in large pot cover with water add salt.
- Bring to boil uncovered and then reduce heat.
- Simmer until all is soft about 45 minutes.
- Drain when cooked set aside.
- At the same time Broccoli is cooking, cook pasta in rapidly boiling salted water.
- Drain when cooked and put aside.
- While Pasta and Rabe are cooking fry the sausage in about 1/2 tablespoons Olive Oil until brown. Set aside.
- Chop Garlic.
- Place Olive Oil in Pan heat and then add garlic.
- When you SMELL the garlic (not brown) add the Hot Pepper and slowly add Brocoli Rabe.
- Toss oil and garlic through all Broccoli Rabe.
- Toss in Pasta and Sausage.
- Cover with generous sprinkle of Parmasian Cheese.
This is just how I make mine (w/ Boca Italian "sausages"). Try making it with some fennel seeds - tastes divine and gives a more authentic "sausage" flavor. I usually use some white wine, lemon juice or a little tomato sauce to brighten the flavor. Although I haven't made this it looks good and so i rated it. I'm going to try your recipe.