Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
According to Real Age, the source of this recipe: "With well over the RDA of vitamin C and vitamin A -- and a healthy dose of both iron and calcium -- what's not to love about this fiber-rich pasta dish?"
- 8 ounces whole wheat fusilli
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces or 8 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth or 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- 2⁄3 cup toasted breadcrumb
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, according to package directions. Stir in broccoli rabe (or spinach) during the last 2 to 3 minutes.
- Dry the pot.
- Whisk broth and flour in a small bowl until smooth.
- Heat oil in the pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth mixture and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly, until it thickens, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add beans, vinegar, salt and pepper and the pasta and broccoli rabe (or spinach).
- Cook, stirring, until the mixture is heated through, about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat; add cheese, stirring until it melts. Serve immediately, topped with toasted bread crumbs, if desired.
Excellent recipe. Great flavor! I served it with grated parmesan cheese and the flavors blended very well!