1 hr 10 mins
An alternative to pizza made with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese (not that there is anything wrong with that!). This invites creativity and healthy choices. Inspired by an old recipe from Gourmet magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 mini whole wheat sodium-free pita bread
Broccoli Rabe Hummus Pizza
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 15 1/2 ounces chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto sauce
- 4 quarts water
- 9 cups broccoli rabe, stems removed and triple rinsed and drained (1 large bunch)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grated romano cheese
Roasted Red Pepper Kalamata Olive Pizza
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2In a 6 quart stockpot, heat 4 quarts of salted water to boiling.
- 3Blanch broccoli rabe in stock pot. Drain and set aside.
- 5In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil and brown garlic.
- 6Remove garlic and oil to a food processor.
- 7Add chick peas, 1/4 cup water, pesto and process until smooth.
- 8Add 1/4 cup olive oil to the food processor while motor is running, allowing mixture to combine well.
- 9Broccoli Rabe Saute:.
- 10Finely chop the reserved broccoli rabe.
- 11Heat 1/4 cup oil in skillet over medium heat.
- 12Add broccoli rabe, 1/4 cup water, and red pepper flakes.
- 13Saute until all liquid is evaporated and rabe is tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- 15Slice each pita pocket in half horizontally.
- 16Spread hummus on the rough side of pita.
- 17Top with small amount of broccoli rabe.
- 18Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- 19Roasted Pepper Kalamata Olive Pizza:.
- 20Spread pesto on rough side of pita pockets.
- 21Top with peppers and olives.
- 22Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- 23Assemble pita pizzas on baking sheet.
- 24Bake in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes, until edges are golden brown.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli Rabe Hummus & Roasted Red Pepper & Olive Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.6
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 7.3 mg
- Sodium 762.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mini whole wheat sodium-free pita bread