Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cooking Light 2003.
- 8 ounces broccoli rabe (rapini)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 cups water
- 3 inches parmigiano-reggiano cheese, rind
- 1 (16 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (16 ounce) canother white beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Remove and discard tough ends from broccoli rabe stems; coarsley chop the broccoli rabe.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add red pepper and 2 garlic cloves; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add broccoli rabe and salt, and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add water and cheese rind. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer 15 minutes. Add beans, and simmer 5 minutes. Discard cheese rind.
- Rub both sides of toasted bread with cut sides of halved garlic clove. Tear toasts into bite-sized pieces; divide toast pieces evenly among 4 bowls. Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup over toast pieces in each bowl; top each serving with 2 tablespoons grated cheese.