Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Source: Rachel Ray magazine
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed and cut into thirds
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 slices country bread
- 8 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
- Preheat a panini press. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Transfer the garlic to a food processor or mini chopper. Add 2 tablespoons water to the skillet, then add the broccoli rabe in batches, allowing each batch to wilt slightly before adding the next. Cook, stirring frequently, until crisp tender, about 3 minutes; season with salt and crushed red pepper.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes and 4 tablespoons olive oil to the garlic and process to form a paste. Add the pine nuts and parmesan cheese and pulse until the pine nuts are finely chopped.
- Brush each slice of bread on one side with the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and place oiled side down on a work surface. Top the bread with the sun dried tomato pesto. Divide the broccoli rabe among the 4 slices of bread and top with the provolone. Set the remaining bread slices in place, oiled side up.
- Working in batches, grill the sandwiches in the panini press until the bread is crisp and golden, about 1 minute.