Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I love broccoli salad. LOVE IT! You know the kind with raisins or craisins, sunflower seeds, shredded cheese, bacon, broccoli florets, etc. etc. etc.? It's not salad, it's dessert. You can even pretend it's all healthy *snort* lol. I took all the elements of all the different versions I have tried, changed them up a bit and made it more evil and even more addictive. Get creative, there are so many things that could happily go into this salad and make it even more fantabulous.
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 (2 1/2-3 ounce) bag bacon pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup craisins
- 1⁄2 onion, diced 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Master Foods or Hellmans)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Put the broccoli, bacon bits (you can also use Baco's/aka Fake-on if you want to go all out veggie), dried apricots, raisins, chopped onions, and sharp shredded cheddar cheese into a large salad bowl.
- To prepare the toasted nuts. Place the chopped nuts into a medium fry pan over medium heat for 5 mins, stirring frequently. Drizzle the 2 tablespoons of honey over the nuts and turn heat to high, stirring and coating the pecans (or sunflower seeds, or peanuts) for 3 mins and then let them cool.
- Add nut pieces to the other solid ingredients in large bowl.
- Dressing: Pour the last five ingredients into a small bowl with a fork till well incorporated. Pour over salad and toss. Cover salad and let it rest in the fridge for at least 3 hours to let the flavors meld.
- ADDITION IDEAS: You can also add halved grapes, chopped apples, crumbled uncooked ramen noodles, canned mandarin segments, crumbled feta or blue cheese -- .