Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Heaslthier version of a comfort food classic
- 1 1⁄2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb broccoli, cooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups low fat cottage cheese, strained
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1.Bring three cups of broth to a boil in a saucepan, and season with salt. Add the quinoa and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the water is absorbed, about 10-12 minutes. The quinoa is cooked when the spiral germ becomes visible around the grains.
- 2.Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3.In a large oven-safe skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the cubed chicken, onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Saute until the outsides are nicely browned, about 7 minutes. Add the cooked broccoli and combine.
- 4.Turn off the heat. Add the cooked quinoa, cottage cheese, and 1 cup grated cheddar. Stir until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5.(If skillet is not oven-safe, transfer ingredients to a large casserole dish at this point.).
- 6.Spread the remaining 1/2 cup grated cheddar over the top of the casserole.
- 7.In a small bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs, oregano, grated Parmesan, and one teaspoon of olive oil. Stir until breadcrumbs are well coated with oil. Spoon breadcrumb mixture all over the top of the casserole.
- 8.Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until breadcrumbs are lightly browned and cheese begins bubbling, about 10 minutes. Serve.