Recipe by averybird
Creamy comfort food with an interesting twist: quinoa. I hope you enjoy this tasty dish. Source: Yoke's Fresh Market recipe card.
Top Review by Tea Girl
This is good and a perfect dish for a cold winter's day like today. My DH thought it was very similar to chicken fricassée, and I think he is right with the flavour but the quinoa and cheese make it more solid like a traditional casserole. You don't really taste the quinoa much but I think that is good thing because the other flavours are really great. The only thing that I changed was to make a substitute for the Condensed Cream Of Mushroom Soup because the locals don't seem to eat it and I don't like paying ?2.30 for something I can make for myself in less than 10 minutes that costs less than a 1/4 of that.<br/><br/>It is so good that we almost finished the whole thing with the two of us in one sitting and I am sure it wouldn't make it until tomorrow. I wanted to try this one because we always have quinoa around because my DH makes a recipe with it, but you don't need much for it, so I wanted to use more of it up. We will be doing it again for sure. Thanks! Made for PAC Spring 2013.
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄3 cup Greek yogurt or 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups broccoli (see below)
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- fresh-grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- TO PREPARE QUINOA: Rinse quinoa until water runs clear. In a small saucepan, combine the quinoa, water and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 18-20 minutes or until white ring is visible around the individual quinoa grains.
- TO PREPARE BROCCOLI: Heat a large pot of water on the stove. Cut broccoli into small florets. Blanch or steam broccoli to soften it slightly but not completely cook (it will finish cooking in the casserole), around 3-4 minutes. Rinse with cold water and cool. Set aside.
- TO ASSEMBLE: In a large bowl, stir the mushroom soup, yogurt or sour cream, milk, cheese and pepper until well combined. Stir in the broccoli, chicken, and cooked quinoa.
- Spoon mixture into a prepared baking dish. Top with a light sprinkling of Parmesan cheeses and bake for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly on the edges.