Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a lighter quiche, delightfully satisfying. A staple of The Market Fare.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped, rinsed and drained (frozen works well, too(thaw it first)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash nutmeg (sounds weird(is necessary)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- PIE CRUST:.
- Place flour and salt in bowl. Stir to mix.
- Cut in shortening with fork until crumbs are the size of croutons.
- Add water.
- Mix with table fork until well blended.
- Dust rolling pin with flour on all sides.
- Roll dough out on lightly floured dough board to between 1/16" and 1/8" thick.
- Roll dough loosely around rolling pin and hold over 9" pie pan.
- Unroll into pie pan.
- Press dough down into crevices of pie pan, making sure it drapes over the edges.
- Trim dough edges (it's good to allow about 1/4" or so over the edge of the pan. Dough shrinks in cooking.).
- Place in 350 degree oven for 5 to 10 minutes, just till it's dry.
- Using a plastic spatula, press out bubbles.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs with a fork, just lightly.
- Place eggs and rest of ingredients in the dried pie crust.
- Place on center rack of oven.
- Bake at 350 degrees 45 minutes, or till a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve with fruit salad or light soup (or both! :-).