Prep 12 mins
Cook 15 mins
From BHG. Gouda cheese gives this delicious soup smoky flavor. Broccoli and winter greens (such as curly endive, chicory, escarole, or spinach) keep it healthy.
- 2 medium red potatoes, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups broccoli florets, very small
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups smoked gouda cheese, shredded (8 oz.)
- 2 cups winter greens (such as curly endive, chicory, romaine, escarole, or spinach)
- additional gouda cheese, shredded (optional)
- In large saucepan combine potatoes and broth.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, 8 minutes. Mash slightly.
- Add broccoli and milk; bring just to simmering.
- In medium bowl toss flour with cheese; gradually add to soup, stirring cheese until melted.
- Season to taste with black pepper.
- Divide among shallow serving bowls.
- Top with greens and additonal cheese if desired. .
This is a great soup! It was like a sophisticated twist on a broccoli-cheese soup. I used spinach for the greens. We loved the smoky flavor of the gouda. Thanks for sharing!
Great soup! Made as directed. I loved the potato, green vegetable and gouda cheese combo. Thanks, Annacia! Made for Veggie Recipe Swap.
I used vegetable broth, whole milk and spinach. This was very good with the gouda cheese! I halved the recipe easily. Thanks Annacia! Made for Newest Zaar tag game.