Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I prefer to use the fresh broccoli, cooked or steamed to just firm tender.
Top Review by Kaarin
The homemade cheese sauce is outstanding! I thought this was really easy and delicious. My only alteration was to use sharp cheddar cheese since my kids don't like swiss much. I will make this again. Thanks!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 cups half-and-half cream or 2 cups milk
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened (low fat is okay)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 4 cups frozen hash browns, thawed
- 1 (12 ounce) packagechopped frozen broccoli (don't overcook) or 1 (12 ounce) package fresh broccoli, cooked until firm-tender (don't overcook)
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 10" x 6" baking dish OR a baking dish large enough to hold the mixture.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tbsp butter.
- Stir in flour and salt; add milk, and stir until bubbly.
- Add cream cheese and Swiss cheese; stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Stir in the hash brown potatoes, and heat thoroughly.
- Pour half of the mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Layer cooked broccoli over the potato mixture.
- Pour the remaining potato mixture over broccoli.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the melted butter and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over top of casserole.
- bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes, or until bubbly and browned lightly.