Recipe by yooper
Another winner from allrecipes.com. This makes a hearty side dish for a special occasion meal or holiday dinner. You can substitute cheddar or mozzarella cheese for the Swiss.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, diced
- 1⁄3 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C).
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- Add milk and stir until bubbly.
- Add cheeses,and stir until all of the cheese is melted.
- Stir in potatoes and heat thoroughly.
- Pour half of the mixture into a 10x6 inch baking dish.
- Cook broccoli according to package instructions, drain well.
- Layer broccoli over the potatoes in the baking dish.
- Pour the remaining potato mixture over the broccoli.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon melted butter over the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 20 to 35 minutes, or until bubbly and browned lightly.