Another winner from allrecipes.com. This makes a hearty side dish for a special occasion meal or holiday dinner. You can substitute cheddar or mozzarella cheese for the Swiss.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C).
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- Add milk and stir until bubbly.
- Add cheeses,and stir until all of the cheese is melted.
- Stir in potatoes and heat thoroughly.
- Pour half of the mixture into a 10x6 inch baking dish.
- Cook broccoli according to package instructions, drain well.
- Layer broccoli over the potatoes in the baking dish.
- Pour the remaining potato mixture over the broccoli.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon melted butter over the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 20 to 35 minutes, or until bubbly and browned lightly.
very good comfort fare. i have never used frozen potatoes so just opted for regular ones, and i used a sharp cheddar for the swiss, and it turned out just right.
I substituted fresh red potatoes shredded and partially cooked (hash brown like) for the tator tots. (Only because I'm not in to prepackaged foods.) It was delicious! DH and I both agreed we will definitely be having this one again. In fact, he specifically said, "I sure hope you make this one a lot. It's really good!" Thanks for sharing this recipe Mark!!