Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a recipe of Bert Greene's that I make all the time. If you love pesto, you will love this recipe! I use it on hot pasta and rice, as a base for pizza, as a tasty dressing for cooked veggies like potatoes, green beans and zucchini. Let your imagination run wild and reap the benefits of those extra vitamins in the raw broccoli.
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a food processor, place all ingredients, except the Parmesan, and blend until smooth.
- Remove to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Makes about 2 1/2 cups and can be kept refrigerated in a covered jar for about a week.
- This pesto can also be frozen, but leave out the Parmesan cheese until after defrosting.
Was curious about this because of the broccoli and wanted to get the bonus of the extra vitamins, it was very good, still had the classic pesto flavor. I did use the pine nuts, was afraid the walnuts could leave a bitter after taste.