Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great vegetarian recipe from the Micheff's sisters cookbook, Cooking for Two. I used vegetarian chicken strips. I also doubled all the veggies and rice and still had plenty of sauce.You will love the crunchy goodness of nuts with this stir fry. If you are pressed for time, use your favorite teriyaki sauce. Be sure to cut up the vegs. about the same size. Make sure your skillet is hot and use oil with a high smoke point. When the oil is hot enough a drop of water will pop into steam on contact.
- 14.79 ml canola oil (I use olive oil)
- 1 clolve garlic, crushed
- 118.29 ml teriyaki sauce (recipe below)
- 59.14 ml broccoli floret (I used about a cup)
- 59.14 ml carrot, julienned
- 59.14 ml onion, julienned
- 59.14 ml red bell pepper, diced in 1-inch strips
- 59.14 ml vegetarian steak (or vegetarian chicken strips)
- 59.14 ml mushroom, sliced thick
- 2.46 ml veggie salt
- 1.23 ml sea salt
- 236.59 ml cooked brown rice
- 59.14 ml soy sauce
- 14.79 ml grated ginger
- 44.37 ml brown sugar (I also added 1 tbls. honey)
- 236.59 ml cold water (plus 1/4 cup cold water)
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- In a medium skillet over high heat, add the oil.
- Add broccoli, carrots, onion, and garlic, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce, pepper, fake steak strips(or chicken, or you can leave out altogether if you like), mushrooms, and salts.
- Continue stirring over high heat until veggies are slightly crunchy.
- Serve over brown rice and sprinkle with cashews.
- Teriyaki Sauce:.
- Combine soy sauce, ginger, sugar, garlic and 1 cup water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir constantly. Mix cornstarch and 1/4 cup water until smooth and add to sauce. Stir constantly unti thickened.