Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you've never tried pesto before, this is the recipe to start with. Maybe, once you try pesto, you'll be encouraged to add basil to your kitchen garden!
- 2 cups uncooked fancy pasta
- 2 cups diced ham or 2 cups pork or 2 cups beef or 2 cups chicken or 2 cups turkey
- 2 cups broccoli florets, steamed til barely tender
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaf
- 2 -3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise or 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cook and drain pasta; cool.
- Combine pasta, meat, broccoli, and cheeses in large bowl.
- Put basil and garlic in food processor or blender; whiz.
- Add mayo to food processor or blender.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Stir into pasta mix.
- Toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
- During the last 1/2 hour of chilling time, toss once to mix.
- For color contrast, serve with cherry tomatoes, cut in halves.
The recipe overall tasted good - I liked the combination and the suggestion to only partly cook the brocoli. The tomatoes were also a good addition. However, this was my first time making a pesto and I don't think I added quite enough basil, making the dish seem like it was lacking in something. I will try it again in the future and try to intensify the flavors. This seems like a dish that can be used for a multitude of things. Thanks for posting :)
Mmmmmm, garlic. I left out the meat to serve this as a side dish, and cut the mayo down to about 2/3 cup. Tasty.
Excellent salad wildheart! Loved ,the pesto dressing, heavy on garlic! Will be making again and again. Thanks for sharing. Tweeky, a.k.a. Judi