Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Quick and easy side dish...and it's yummy too!! From Southern Living.
- 1 (16 ounce) package broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground marjoram
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated for a garnish
- Arrange broccoli in a steamer basket over boiling water; cover and steam for 5 min or until crisp-tender.
- Remove from steamer; place in serving dish and keep warm.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Add onion and saute until tender.
- Add flour and bouillon granules, stirring until blended.
- Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in cheese, salt, pepper, dry mustard, and marjoram.
- Pour sauce over broccoli in serving dish and sprinkle with more cheese if desired.
What a great way to make broccoli more exciting! I did use onion powder instead of the onion because I felt like a smooth sauce. It came out great, very tasty. Thanks for posting.
This was quite a tasty change from just steaming the broccoli and sprinkling parm and lemon. The sauce went together easily - the only change I made was shallots for onions, since I had 2 to use. I had 2 fair sized heads of fresh broccoli, and plenty of sauce - for leftovers another night. Thanks for posting, SkinnyMinnie