Barb Witherspoon's Note:
From Dr. Andrew Weil's website. I am really posting this for myself, but I am sure many others will want to try it, too. My calculation is that it's approximately 2 Weight Watchers points per serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large head broccoli
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 small hot chili peppers or 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/8 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 large eggs or 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
MOCK SOUR CREAM
- 1Cut the florets off the head of the broccoli and separate them by cutting the large ones in half so they are all more or less the same size. You should have about 3 cups. Discard the stalks, or save them along with any remaining florets to use in soup or a vegetable stir-fry.
- 2Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil in a medium pan, then drop in the broccoli florets, cover, and let steam as they cook, for 3 minutes. Strain in a colander.
- 3Put the steamed broccoli, onions, chili and garlic in a food processor and pulse on and off to chop (do not puree the vegetables), or chop by hand. Transfer the chopped ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir in the oil, flour, dill, and salt. Add the egg or egg whites and milk and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- 4Smear the bottom of a large, nonstick skillet with 1/4 teaspoon of butter and set it over medium heat for about 1 minute. Drop tablespoons of the batter into the hot skillet, placing them far enough apart so that the pancakes don't touch, and cook over low to medium heat for about 1 minute. Turn the pancakes and cook the other side for 1 minute. Transfer them to a hot platter to keep warm while you continue making the rest until all the batter is used up.
- 5Mix all of the ingredients for the Mock Sour Cream together and spoon 1 teaspoonful on top of each pancake, then top with a sprinkle of paprika.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.5
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 21.9 mg
- Sodium 66.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 5.2 g