Recipe by Theresa P
A nice summer salad that is refreshing and a little different than the regular broccoli salad we are all used to. Give it a try! I got this recipe from Taste of Home's Contest Winning Annual Recipes 2004 cookbook.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons butter
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup salted cashews
- 1 cup cubed swiss cheese
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges (drained)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy saucepan, mix egg, sugar, honey, mustard and cornstarch until smooth.
- Gradually stir in water and vinegar.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and smooth.
- Remove from heat and add mayonnaise, sour cream and butter.
- Stir until butter is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Cool in refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, just before serving, combine broccoli, cashews, Swiss cheese, oranges, raisins, bacon and red onion.
- Add cooled dressing and toss all to coat.