Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Wonderful, refreshing salad. A good substitute for the common tossed salad. Cook time is actually chill time.
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 1/2 lbs. fresh broccoli)
- 1 small purple onion (thinly sliced and separated into rings)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces (toasted)
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 11 ounces mandarin oranges, drained
- Combine broccoli, onion, raisins and pecans and set aside.
- Mix mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar.
- Add mayo mixture to broccoli and stir.
- Gently fold in mandarin oranges.
- Chill at least 3 hours.
We enjoyed this and will do it again. I can't get (or afford if they are available) mandarin oranges in a can so I used a regular sweet orange. It worked fine. We also thought that it needs way less onion - but that would depend on the onions you have available and how much you like onion flavor.
Outstanding broccoli salad. The mandarin oranges add such a wonderfully refreshing addition to this salad. This was easy to make and a crowd pleaser. The only change I made was that I used Equal and not sugar. Thanks for the recipe.