Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This is one of my favorite side dishes. My in-laws are always asking me to bring this to family occasions.
- Cook broccoli and onions until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons margarine, stir in flour, salt, and a dash of pepper.
- Add milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Add cream cheese; cook and stir 1-2 minutes then stir in broccoli and onions.
- Put in 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. Top with cheddar cheese.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons margarine and toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes.
- Enjoy !
The white cheese sauce really makes this recipe good. Overall it's very tasty. It tastes better than what it looks. I took it to Christmas and people passed over it, but I knew I would enjoy eating it and I did. It'd challenging cooking the broccoli and onions initially. I steam them but there are so much vegetables, I did it in a couple batches. It's probably not the most low calorie dish to make, and there is a lot of dairy in it, but it's a tasty combo.
We all (even my steamed veggie and cauliflower hating dd) really liked this. I used a combo of brocolli, cauliflower, mushrooms and vidalia onions. The down side, of course, is the high fat and calories. I did use neufatchel, skim milk and olive oil marg to try to make it a bit healthier! I also left off the breadcrumb topping. I put mine over steamed fingerling potatoes and the sauce was good on them, too! Thanks for a good veggie dish!
Divine! The onions really make this. I used 2 cups of Vidalia onions and chopped pretty large. From the ingredient list, it may seem bland, but it's really tasty and creamy. I'll be making this again. Thanx!