Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
The key to a good stir fry is to have the veggies piping hot but still crisp. Cook this to your liking in terms of crispness. If you like a thicker sauce add 2 tsp of cornstarch to the stock. Great with Chicken. If you wish this suitable for vegetarrian diets use veggie stock in place of the chicken stock I have made this again in 2009. I modified the recipe by omitting the sesame seeds, used no oil just a light spray of "no oil." Not caring for a lot of sauce cut out the stock and used 4 tbsp of vermouth with 3 tbsp light soy - It worked.
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons lite olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 3 teaspoons light soy sauce
- In a wok or large skillet Heat oils over high heat.
- Stir fry the garlic and ginger for 30 seconds, remove garlic& ginger and discard.
- Add onions stir fry 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, stir fry 1 minute.
- Add broccoli, stir fry 1 minute.
- Add red Pepper and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add stock& soy sauce, bring to a simmer for about 1 minute or until the veggies are cooked to your liking.
- Sprinkle with Sesame seeds and serve.
I upped the mushrooms to a full pound, used vegetable stock instead of chicken and had a vegan's delight. I served this with shell pasta, and all the adults at the table (4) loved it. The 8 children turned their noses up at it, but what do they know... I think you have to be over 18 to really appreciate broccoli ;-) Their loss, more for me!
I cooked this for a second time last night, doubled the amount of sauce & served over bow tie pasta. My grandaughter loved it! Would you believe that broccoli is her favourite vegetable - and she's only 5 years old!!
This was great