Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Tried this recipe out of a desire to find a kid suitable broccoli dish...this one is definately that...maybe because they like to say "puffle"...lol From "Flavors" San Antonio Jr. League cookbook, 1978, submitted by Mrs. Orvis E. Meador
- 4 slices bread, cut into triangles
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 4 tablespoons margarine or 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons instant minced onion
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup instant dry milk powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a greased 9x9 pan with bread.
- Combine broccoli with margarine, cheese, salt, Tobasco, and onion.
- Spoon over bread. Beat eggs, add milk powder and water, mix well, pour over broccoli.
- Bake at for 20-25 minutes.
This reminded me a lot of strata; only without the waiting. I did make some changes to use what I had on hand. I used frozen spinach (thawed, well drained, & squeezed dry) and cheddar cheese. I found the dish to be very mild in flavor, but totally a gooey, cheesy comfort type food. I think one could easily play with the veggies & spices to match your cooking mood. Thank you for sharing your recipe!