This is a tasty, filling vegetarian main dish from The Moosewood Cookbook. This makes a lot, so you may want to try half if cooking for a small family.
- 2 stalks fresh broccoli, including stems, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups ricotta cheese (or a combination) or 3 cups cottage cheese (or a combination)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fine breadcrumbs or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- Saute chopped broccoli, mushrooms and onion in butter till tender. Salt and pepper lightly. Toss with wine.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Whisk in ricotta/cottage cheese and sour cream.
- Boil noodles in salted water till slightly underdone. Drain and butter.
- Removed sauteed vegetables from pan to cheese mixture with a slotted spoon.
- Add noodles and either 1/4 cup bread crumbs or 2 T wheat germ. Mix everything.
- Spread into buttered 9x13 baking pan.
- Top with more breadcrumbs or wheat germ and grated cheddar.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes at 350.
- Uncover and bake for 15 minutes more.
Broccoli and mushrooms go great together so I knew I'd enjoy this. I served to my father in law (who likes broccoli) but didn't bother with the rest of the family, since the wheat noodles I used put it over the "edge" in healthiness factor. I also enjoyed a sprinkling of walnuts on mine. Thanks Pattikay, for posting. Roxygirl
Really liked the combination of ingredients in this recipe. There are a lot of my favorite things. I maybe would increase the cheese part next time as ours was a little dry. I halved the recipe as there are just two of us and now wonder if that would have affected the moistness of the recipe. I used a 9 x9 baking dish. I will be making this again.