Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adopted! An easy, healthy side dish with a very pretty presentation. Try adding additional seasoning (spices, herbs) as desired.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup millet (uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Lightly grease four custard cups, or spray with nonstick spray.
- In a small saucepan, bring water or vegetable broth to a boil.
- Stir in millet.
- Cover, reduce ehat, and cook 20 minutes or until water/broth is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook and stir until onion is tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli, salt and pepper.
- Cook and stir 5 minutes longer.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in cooked millet.
- Pack firmly into greased custard cups.
- Invert onto serving plate so that mixture slides out in upside down bowl shape.
- Sprinkle lightly with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
I won't rate it for 2 reasons. First, I changed it quite a bit; added 2 eggs, 1/2 cup heavy cream and cubbed and shredded cheese. (My husband thought it was not bad like this.) Second, I guess I just don't like millet; it's an almost tasteless addition...