Recipe by Oolala
From Bon Appetit, Dec. 2006 under "All the Trimmings" from Betty Rosbottom. This soup looks terrific in the photo. You can make this a day ahead of serving. Just cover and chill. Heat soup over medium heat, stirring occasionally; do not boil. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with reserved mascarpone. Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve.
Top Review by jaimecoy
Made it exactly as written, so delish!!!! OMG!! I can't stop eating it! I'm eating it straight out of the pot as we speak, so the extra topping of cheese isn't necessary if you are watching your calories, but the chives are a great addition. Thanks!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups shallots, sliced, about 6 large
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli florets, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces mascarpone cheese, 1 1/2 cups, divided (Italian cream cheese)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add shallots; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add broccoli; sauté 1 minutes.
- Add broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cover; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Working in batches, transfer soup to blender; puree until smooth.
- Return to pot.
- Reserve 1/4 cup mascarpone in a small bowl; cover and chill.
- Whisk 1 1/4 cups mascarpone and cayenne pepper to soup.
- Season with salt. (Up to here can be done 1 day ahead-see note in description).
- Garnish with reserved mascarpone.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve.