Recipe by DianeH
I was craving macaroni and cheese, so I combine a couple of recipes from this site and added broccoli. I prepared the ingredients while I waited for the water to boil, and this came together in about 20 minutes. I'm estimated the dry mustard and garlic powder amounts, so please taste the sauce and adjust accordingly. This does not produce a creamy sauce. Also, the high fiber pasta is not in the database, so the nutritional values will not be correct.
- 8 ounces rotini pasta or 8 ounces elbow macaroni, Ronzoni SmartTaste
- 1 cup broccoli floret, cut in to bite size pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk, combined with
- 4 ounces water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions, adding broccoli during the last 4 minutes of boiling time. Drain thoroughly. Return to pot.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Slowly whisk in flour, reducing heat if necessary, cook for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly and eliminating clumps.
- Slowly whisk in the evaporated milk/water. Add dry mustard and garlic powder. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly, until it thickens to your desired consistency. The thicker it is, the drier the end product.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the cheeses.
- Pour cheese sauce over the broccoli and pasta and stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.