Prep 15 mins
Cook 21 mins
This is different from the other casserole on the website. It is so quick and easy. You can microwave or bake, but I think it works better by baking. Cook time is based on microwaving it.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Place broccoli in microwave safe dish and microwave on high 5-6 minutes until defrosted. Drain thoroughly and set aside.
- In bowl, mix crackers and butter; pat half of mix onto bottom of 10" pie plate. Set aside remaining cracker mix.
- In another bowl, mix broccoli with with remaining ingredients.
- Pour into pie plate and top with remaining crackers.
- Microwave on medium 18-21 minutes until filling is set.
- Let stand 6-8 minutes. Cut into wedges.
- If baking, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake 35-45 minutes until center is set.
I guess I'd better just admit this upfront - I forgot the eggs! And then, I was just kind of throwing it together, so I didn't really measure anything AND I had pepper jack cheese already shredded...I know, I know -could I have changed anything else? Let me just say that it shows what a great recipe it is that you can make changes based on your refrigerator (and make mistakes, yes, I know!) and the recipe is still wonderful. Just as good the next day, although it was hard to keep the leftovers hidden. I think the lack of eggs made it more like a casserole, but I really liked it that way. Great recipe WIC! Thanks so much for posting
Enjoyed this very much, quick and easy to make, was an excellent side for Toad in the Hole and Roast potatoes. I didn't make the crust, just made it as a casserole, and baked it in the oven, since the oven was already in use for the other dishes. I used fresh broccoli, and microwaved it briefly before adding to the sauce. Oh, and I added a chopped onion, because we tend to like onions with everything. Will definitely make it again, I would even have it as a vegetarian main and serve it with rice. Thanks for a great recipe!
Rich and cheesey side dish! I used the oven baking method. I made this as written, but instead of making a crust with the first half of the crackers, I just mixed them right in with the casserole ongredients. Thanx for sharing this. I'll make this again!