Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Was looking for something a little different for "our menu" at Cafè Ponce and I found this! It is lovely and light and at the same time filling! Found it on F&W web site. Recipe by Diane Rossen Worthington, From: Simple Soups, November, 2002.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white and tender green parts only, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli, stems peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick, florets cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- fresh ground white pepper
- 2 -3 pinches crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (not the bottled kind)
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh chives
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter in the olive oil.
- Add the leeks & crushed red pepper flakes, if using, and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli, garlic and stock, season with salt and white pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cover partially and simmer until the broccoli is tender, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir the sour cream with the lemon zest, lemon juice, chives and Parmesan.
- Season with salt and white pepper.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and puree in batches until smooth.
- Stir in half of the lemon-chive cream.
- Ladle the soup into shallow bowls and serve the remaining lemon-chive cream on the side.