- 1 large bunch broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 709.77 ml low sodium chicken broth or 709.77 ml vegetable broth
- 3.69 ml salt
- 0.25 ml fresh ground pepper
- 59.14 ml half-and-half (optional)
- 59.14 ml snipped chives
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Separate broccoli stems from florets. Using a vegetable peeler, peel stems to remove tough outer layer, then slice into 1/4 inch thick "coins." Break or cut the florets into small pieces. Reserve stems and florets separately.
- 2. In a medium saucepan, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add leaks and cook, stirring often, until softened and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- 3. Add broccoli stems, potato, and garlic, and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4. Add 3 cups of water, broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- 5. Reduce heat; cover partially, and simmer until broccoli and potato are tender, about 12 minutes.
- 6. Add florets, bring to a boil and then simmer 5 minutes. Transfer soup in batches to a blender or food processor, and puree until smooth.
- 7. Return soup to saucepan; add half and half and chives, and reheat briefly.