Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this in Family Circle magazine. Sounds really good!
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large stalk broccoli
- 1 large leek, rinsed and sliced thin (dark-green portion discarded)
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Place water and vegetable broth in a large saucepan.
- Cut stem off broccoli and peel. Cut into coins. Chop flowerets roughly. Add coins and flowerets to saucepan. Add leek, rice, salt and pepper to saucepan. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whirl mixture in a blender in batches. Add cheese and mustard and whirl until smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan and stir in cream. Gently heat over low heat. Do not boil.
- Serve warm, garnish with steamed broccoli flowerets, if desired.