Recipe by Dancer^
For this dish, pre-cook the broccoli and have all other ingredients sliced and ready to go before heating the oil. Feel free to substitute or add other vegetables, such as mung bean or sunflower sprouts, onion, carrot, celery, cabbage, or water chestnuts.
Top Review by sugarpea
Loved the vegetable and nut combination in this stir-fry. I wasn't sure how I felt about 5 spice powder and after trying it, I'll switch to some other seasoning next time. Just a personal preference.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons unrefined sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 small leek, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 4 leaves bok choy, cut crosswise into 1 inch pieces
- 12 snow peas, stems removed
- 1⁄2 cup toasted coarsely chopped almonds
- soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam the broccoli over boiling water until tender but still bright green, about 4 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil and when it is warm, add the garlic and 5-spice powder and cook for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Add the leek and carrot and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until they soften.
- Add the bok choy and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until crisp tender.
- Add the snow peas and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until crisp tender.
- Stir in the broccoli, soy sauce and five-spice powder and stir-fry for 2 minutes more or until heated through.
- Serve immediately.