Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a bit fussier to make than steamed or microwaved broccoli but it sure is worth the little bit of extra effort.
- 3 lbs broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, minced
- 5 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons orange rind, julienned
- salt and pepper
- Cook broccoli in boiling salted water until tender but firm (about 5 minutes).
- Drain, run under cold water and pat dry.
- Simmer orange juice in saucepan with shallots until juice reduces to 2 tablespoons.
- Add butter and orange peel.
- Cook until butter has melted.
- Add broccoli and cook until heated through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
This was a really nice twist on the usual broccoli. I think I may have let my juice reduce too much because it was a very thick sauce. I'll be more careful about that in the future. I also only used about 3 tbs. butter.
This is really good! I did use only 4 TBSP butter instead of the 5oz. It was still sensational! The flavor of the orange, shallot, and butter were delicious together with the broccoli. Thanks for this great recipe!
Great way to eat broccoli. Yes, it does take a bit more time, but I agree it IS worth the effort. Great side dish for guests/dinner parties or for any old day. We really enjoyed this and we will be having this again. Thanx for the recipe!