Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Broccoli ham hot dish
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (about 2-1/2 slices)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked ham
- cheddar cheese or swiss cheese, shredded
- Cook broccoli according to package directions; drain.
- Spoon rice into a 13-inch x 9 inch x 2-inch baking pan.
- Place broccoli over rice.
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the bread crumbs and set aside.
- In remaining butter, saute onion until soft.
- Add flour, salt and pepper, stirring constantly until bubbly.
- Stir in milk and continue cooking until sauce thickens and bubbles.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute; add ham and heat through.
- Pour over rice and broccoli.
- Sprinkle the crumbs over all.
- Bake at 3500 for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with cheese; let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Sorry, no one in my family liked this one. I used fresh broccoli (cooked). I also used store bought breadcrumbs.