1/1 Photo of Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Casserole
I had the broccoli, ham and cheese, but no cream soup, so I took a couple existing recipes and improvised. Also, I used Jarlsberg cheese, but Swiss or any favorite cheese could be used.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup ham, diced (can use more)
- 3 cups broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 cup broth, chicken (or vegetarian)
- 1 cup cheese (shredded or cubed, I use Jarlsberg, your choice)
- 1 cup onion rings, french fried
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Cook onions in butter until almost soft, add garlic and cook all until soft.
- 3Sprinkle flour over butter/onion mixture, stir to form a roux.
- 4Slowly pour in milk and broth. Stir until somewhat thickened. Add cheese, salt and pepper. Continue to stir until thickened.
- 5Spread ham, broccoli and rice in 9x9 glass casserole pan (or similar).
- 6Pour cheese mixture over top.
- 7Bake for 15 minutes.
- 8Sprinkle fried onions on top. Bake for another 15 min until cheese is bubbling but not burnt!
- 9Note: I was out of milk and didn't want to cook rice or broccoli ahead of time. I did the onion - flour steps the same, then upped the liquid (3 Cups broth) and just added the raw rice and broccoli to the pan, let the mixture of stuff come to a boil, then simmered for a few minutes; stirred in the cheese; sprinkled the onions on top; baked for 20min. Yum!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 493.4
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 67.8 mg
- Sodium 1082.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 22.1 g