Recipe by Linky
I had the broccoli, ham and cheese, but no cream soup, so I took a couple existing recipes and improvised. Also, I used Jarlsberg cheese, but Swiss or any favorite cheese could be used.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup ham, diced (can use more)
- 3 cups broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 cup broth, chicken (or vegetarian)
- 1 cup cheese (shredded or cubed, I use Jarlsberg, your choice)
- 1 cup onion rings, french fried
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook onions in butter until almost soft, add garlic and cook all until soft.
- Sprinkle flour over butter/onion mixture, stir to form a roux.
- Slowly pour in milk and broth. Stir until somewhat thickened. Add cheese, salt and pepper. Continue to stir until thickened.
- Spread ham, broccoli and rice in 9x9 glass casserole pan (or similar).
- Pour cheese mixture over top.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle fried onions on top. Bake for another 15 min until cheese is bubbling but not burnt!
- Note: I was out of milk and didn't want to cook rice or broccoli ahead of time. I did the onion - flour steps the same, then upped the liquid (3 Cups broth) and just added the raw rice and broccoli to the pan, let the mixture of stuff come to a boil, then simmered for a few minutes; stirred in the cheese; sprinkled the onions on top; baked for 20min. Yum!