Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This gratin is different to others I've tried. It's more like a puree but a very tasty one!
- 2 heads broccoli
- 3 fluffy baking potatoes
- enough heavy cream or milk, to bind a wet puree
- 115 g butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Steam the broccoli until al dente, then refresh under cold water so that it stays green.
- Peel the potatoes and boil in salted water until ready for mashing.
- Chop the broccoli, stems included, in a processor.
- Mash together the first six ingredients, then spoon into a large, ovenproof buttered bowl.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top, dot with a little extra butter and bake at 175 C or 350 F for 30 minutes.
What a great side dish! I made half the recipe for the two of us and I felt the proportion of potatoes and broccoli were perfect. Instead of steaming the broccoli, I toasted them in the oven with a litte water on the bottom of the baking dish (500F for 5-7 minutes) and they came out bright green and perfect texture. Served with baked chicken and a tossed salad, this made a wonderful meal. Thanks Sackville Girl!
Oh Friedel! This was soooo good! Just the right blend of broccoli for the amount of potatoes. I made half the recipe because there are only two of us now, but it still came out just fine. I wouldn't change a thing. A great side dish with our breaded baked chicken breasts. Thank you for this recipe.